Thursday, July 02, 2009

John Crowley and the Second Pass

Just in time for the holiday, I'm up at the Second Pass with a review of John Crowley's new novel, Four Freedoms, one of the most quietly, thoughtfully patriotic novels I've ever come across.

As I've done before, I figure I might as well use this space to share a passage that I marked in my notes, but wasn't able to find a place for in the review; I initially flagged it for the lovely little slang term Crowley throws in at the end, but the elegant beauty of its closing sentence is worth noting, too, a reminder of Crowley's skill with descriptive prose. The scene finds the book's protagonist, Prosper Olander, deep into a night of drinking with a young woman he's recently met:
"Well if you want to take a walk, maybe we can get a car."

"Swell," she said. "One more drink."

"Really?"

"Oh Prosper," she said rising. "Don't be a better-notter."

The band was playing a waltz as Prosper and Diane went out, and the three women were singing mournfully about love and loss, and Pancho and his friend were turning to each other with regal care.
Happy Fourth of July, everyone. Raise a glass to our forefathers (and mothers), and I'll see you again Monday.

1 comment:

  1. Atticus Shaskan4:24 AM

    To you too, sir. Thanks for blogging.

    ReplyDelete