Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Self-regard

Last night, Stacey and I attended a reading at the Newberry Library by Julian Barnes. Barnes, who was promoting his new novel, Arthur and George, which is about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, began his presentation by saying, "I approached this evening with some trepidation, and that trepidation has greatly increased now that I understand there are likely to be Doyle fans, or even Sherlockians, in the audience."

Right after Barnes said "Doyle fans," a man sitting two seats down from us raised one finger in a humble gesture of self-recognition and said, "Expert."

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is great! It's hard to find blogs with good content and people talking about Sherlock Holmes, these days! I have a new blog and a new website if you want to come leave me a comment or two! May I put a link to this blog of yours on mine? My name is Jan Manzer and I'm new to blogging. Would appreciate you checking out my site at Jan Manzer dot com. I tried a light-hearted spoof on this new site about my favourite detective, Mr. S. Holmes. I took some of the stories and did a search-and-replace on my own name. Kinda weird but kinda cool at the same time. Let me know what you think. You could try A Scandal in Bohemia first. it's located at Jan Manzer & the Scandal in Bohemia dot com.

    ReplyDelete