Wednesday, July 28, 2010

One of the many attractions of writing a crime novel . . .

. . . would be getting to write scenes like this one, from Nic Pizzolatto's impressive, dark new novel, Galveston:
The girl said her name was Raquel and everyone called her Rocky. She was mostly terrified, and given what she'd been through, a lot of people might have switched off, but she talked like a mynah bird. I suspect that sometime before the night's events, she had learned that you can lie with anything. "My last name's Arceneaux." She pronounced it Arson, oh. "Are you going to kill me?"

"No. Stop asking me that."
Live through? Preferably not. Write? Hell, yes.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have written that line, that someone talked "like a mynah bird."

    You should do a post about literary works you like that only use crime/detective genre as a
    "shell."

    ReplyDelete