Monday, November 21, 2005

Personal growth

I am taking it as a good sign that, although my Shorter Oxford English Dictionary was brought out not once, but twice, at a party at the Rocketship Saturday night, I was not responsible either time.

Neither was I the person who started talking about Jesus at 2:15 a.m.

Maybe this blog is doing me good already!

I did learn that the Shorter defines "Shuddup": Be Quiet! Shut Up! (Yes, the exclamation points are in the definition. Really!) Bob suggested that the definition should include "usually with 'Aw'", but I pointed out that that would be more appropriate for "Shaddup." Sadly, while the Shorter does define "Shaddup," it fails to note it association with "Aw." I suppose for that, I might have to consult the Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang--if it ever gets to "S", that is.

4 comments:

  1. My understanding is that slang dictionary is never going to be updated. Which is too bad, because it's a never-ending supply of terms I desire to add to my personal lexicon (though often fail at doing). Best example: when someone gets up in your shit, a quick retort of "Ask my ass!" should settle them down. Or at least would have, were it the early 19th century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I was *going* to suggest its use in conjunction with "Aw," but that someone beat me to it. Someone like you. Or maybe Vince?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I was not responsible either time" is almost as misleading as "Congress saw the same intelligence we did".

    Just as whichever branch of government actually goes and wages the war ought to bear the most responsibility for it, I think the person who actually goes and gets the dictionary and has it On His Lap looking things up is primarily responsible for any party-killing that results.

    But we commend the blogging nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete